Test Prep for AP® Courses
11.1 Einstein’s Postulates
Which of the following statements describes the Michelson-Morley experiment?
- The speed of light is independent of the motion of the source relative to the observer.
- The speed of light is different in different frames of reference.
- The speed of light changes with changes in the observer.
- The speed of light is dependent on the motion of the source.
11.4 Relativistic Addition of Velocities
What happens when velocities comparable to the speed of light are involved in an observation?
- Newton’s second law of motion, , governs the motion of the object.
- Newton’s second law of motion, , no longer governs the dynamics of the object.
- Such velocities cannot be determined mathematically.
- None of the above
How is the relativistic Doppler effect different from the classical Doppler effect?
11.6 Relativistic Energy
A mass of 50 g is completely converted into energy. What is the energy that will be obtained when such a conversion takes place?
Show that relativistic kinetic energy becomes the same as classical kinetic energy when .
The relativistic energy of a particle in terms of momentum is given by which of the following?