Engage: Can You Figure It Out?
Can you figure out the pattern in the chart below? What are these examples and nonexamples of? Look at the list below the image and determine which would be examples and which would be nonexamples. Think carefully!
Additional Chart Items:
Explore I: Musical Life Science
View the complete video below once. Just listen and enjoy!
View the video a second time while making observations.
- What is the video about?
- What words stand out most during the video? Which words do you remember most? Why?
Explain I: Biotic/Abiotic Factors
You're definitely getting a better understanding of what biotic and abiotic factors are. View the video below to get an even deeper understanding. See how many examples of biotic and abiotic factors you can write down from the video. Ready? Set? Watch!!!
Explore/Explain II: Investigating Impact
What's Happening with Pandas? Investigate how Pandas are losing the battle for biotic and abiotic factors. Use the information on this web page to complete your recording sheet.
The Coral Isn't Okay! Investigate what's happening to living coral in the world's reefs. What role is the competition for biotic and abiotic factors playing? Focus on the sections labeled "About Corals" and "Threats" to complete your recording sheet.
Where'd the Bison Go? Investigate the decline of the American Bison. What biotic and abiotic factors were at play? How have Bison gradually lost the battle for wider survival? Use the information on the web page below to complete your recording sheet.
Elaborate: Survival News
In the Explain, you gained some understanding of how organisms depend on and may compete for biotic and abiotic factors. These factors can affect entire populations of organisms.
Imagine it is 2023 and you are a news reporter with a major news network. A few weeks after starting your new job, something strange begins to
- What is causing the various populations of human beings to die off?
- What populations of humans are dying off the most? Where are they located?
- What biotic factors are involved with the human populations' demise?
- What abiotic factors are involved with the human populations' demise?
- What competition is occurring for biotic and abiotic factors?
- What other biotic and abiotic factors might help revive these human populations?
Good luck; the human race is counting on you!