Overview of the Information Technology Career Cluster
The instructional content for this cluster is organized into four career pathways:
- Information Support and Services
- Interactive Media
- Network Systems
- Programming and Software Development
To help students learn more about careers in Information Technology, download and distribute the Information Technology College and Career Planning Guide. The guide makes an excellent critical reading assignment for students interested in a career in the IT field.
Click each course title below to learn about the two practicums in the IT Career Cluster.
The Computer Technician Practicum is recommended for students in Grades 10-12. Recommended prerequisites for this course:
- Principles of Information Technology
- Computer Maintenance and Computer Maintenance Lab
- Networking and Networking Lab
Legal and Safety Considerations
Typically, the responsibilities are as follows:
- Training sponsors provide job-specific safety training.
- Teacher-coordinators are responsible for providing general safety instruction to all students enrolled in the course and for ensuring that all training occurs according to schedule.
- Teachers may assign students to research and report on specific safety and legal considerations for their job or industry.
The IT field has some unique legal and safety issues.
Click each topic below to learn more.
Take a moment to bookmark the Texas CTE Resource Center website. Later, be sure to explore curriculum guidelines and instructional resources for the AFNR Career Cluster.
There are several CTSOs related to the IT field. Become familiar with those that are closely related to information technology so you can help students select the organization that best supports their career goals.
Take a few moments to bookmark the CTSO websites below to explore later.
There are several professional association related to information technology, including those listed below. You may also want to check with your colleagues for advice.
Take a few moments to bookmark the CTE professional association websites below to explore later.