Lesson Introduction

Categories of Licensures and Certifications

This lesson is organized according to the three main categories of licensures and certifications that are appropriate for high school students.

1. Entry-Level
These include permits, licensures, and certifications that students might need to be eligible to work at a specific training site, e.g., a food handler’s permit or an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Safety Training certificate.
2. Levels of Competence
These licensures and certifications demonstrate a student's level of competency beyond the minimum entry-level requirements, e.g., certification of proficiency in Microsoft Word or a special certification like ServSafe Allergens™ for food handlers.
3. End of CTE Course or Program
These licensures and certifications  demonstrate that a student has mastered a specific program of study. For example, an AutoCAD Certified User or Microsoft Office Specialist indicate a student has mastered the skills needed to pursue a career.


Entry-Level: Training Station Requirements

Industry Certification and Licensure for Students

TEA encourages schools to offer students the opportunity to earn any certification or licensure that has benefit and value to students and that makes sense for the district and its programs.

Instructor's Role

The role of the instructor is to guide students in researching and obtaining certificates and licensures appropriate for their individual career goals.

Exam Fees

There are many sources for paying the fees associated with student certification and licensure exams. Most districts pay all or part of the cost for such exams. Some schools require students to pay for all or part of these fees. These decisions are made at the local level.

Districts may use CTE contact hour generated funds (state funds) or Perkins funds to pay student certification and licensure fees. In addition, a district may be eligible for a reimbursement from the state for monies expended to pay for end-of-program student certification and licensure fees.  

Perkins funds can also be used to for certain student certification and licensure exams, as long as the opportunity to take the exams is offered to all students equally and the certification or licensure has been determined to be an end-of-program assessment included on the annual Perkins Program Evaluation Report (PER). 

If Perkins funds are used to pay such fees the LEA would not be eligible for any state reimbursement. Always check with your school administration prior to purchasing any  student certification and licensure exams.


End of Program Licensures and Certifications

Quick Check

Lesson Review

Lesson Conclusion