Welcome to the module that will introduce the newly adopted Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for high school theatre, including the revised standards for Theatre (Levels I-IV), and new TEKS for Technical Theatre and Musical Theatre.
As in the earlier grades, the five strands provide structure for the TEKS. High school theatre courses provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to continue studies at the college level, pursue theatre as an avocation, or become educated audience members.
The high school theatre TEKS focus on these areas:
- Enhancing perception, interpretation, and performance
- Understanding of diverse cultures
- Understanding influences of theatre, film, television, and digital media
- Reflecting and evaluating personal work and the work of others
Theatre Arts I encompasses the following:
- Theatrical vocabulary, elements, conventions, and basic concepts
- Historical and cultural backgrounds
- Experiences that develop a broad-based body of knowledge and technical skills
- Strategies for evaluating theatre experiences
Theatre Arts I is a survey course that establishes the base for all subsequent theatre courses. Beginning with Theatre Arts I, each theatre class builds on the foundation of the preceding level. Theatre Arts II, Technical Theatre I, Musical Theatre I, and subsequent courses focus and expand the student's knowledge base and continually refine techniques and skills in the specific domains.