Participants who successfully complete the Sheltered Instruction Training Series earn 20 CPE hours. The Sheltered Instruction Training Series checklist can be downloaded, printed, and used to help track your completion of sheltered instruction training.
As you read the descriptions that follow, you may click on links (in blue) and join courses. District personnel may also request copies of all of the courses for local management. For assistance and information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before beginning this online training series, check with appropriate district personnel to confirm local requirements for sheltered instruction training.
Upon successful completion of each course, you will be prompted to generate and save a course completion certificate. As a general rule, those who complete the training series will earn the following seven (7) certificates:
- ELL Foundations: Second Language Acquisition (1 certificate)
- ELL Foundations: Guidance and Support for ELLs (1 certificate)
- ELL Foundations: Effective Instructional Strategies and Routines (1 certificate)
- ELL Foundations: Assessment and Data-Driven Instruction (1 certificate)
- ELPS Academy (1 certificate)
- Implementing the ELPS (subject area of your choice, 1 certificate)
- ELL Instructional Videos (subject area of your choice, 1 certificate)
Sheltered instruction is an instructional approach that uses various strategies to ensure that grade-level instruction provided in English addresses both content and language objectives. Through sheltered instruction, students master the required essential knowledge and skills and become proficient in the English language.